Topic: GS 3 – Agriculture
In order to enhance financial inclusion and provide support to the fisheries sector, an important meeting at the Secretary level was conducted focusing on ‘Ghar-Ghar KCC Abhiyaan.’
What is ‘Ghar-Ghar KCC Abhiyaan’?
- ‘Ghar-Ghar KCC Abhiyaan’ is a Door to Door KCC Campaign
- It is a campaign aimed at extending the benefits of the Kisan Credit Card (KCC) Scheme to all farmers across India.
- The objective is to achieve universal financial inclusion and ensure that every farmer has access to credit facilities that support agricultural pursuits.
- This campaign will play an important role in reaching out to account holders who do not have KCC under PM KISAN.
- The total number of operative KCC Accounts available as of March 2023 is 7.35 Crores with a total allotted limit of Rs. 8.85 lakh crores.
- For this initiative, NABARD has been identified as the Primary Executing Organization with the responsibility for the overall execution and monitoring of the campaign.
- NABARD developed a portal to facilitate the monitoring of drive camps in the field as well as for processing and issuance of KCCs to all eligible PM Kisan beneficiaries by banks.
About the Fisheries Sector in India:
- India is the third-largest fish producer and the second-largest aquaculture producer globally.
- As per the Central Marine Fisheries Research Institute Census, 2010, there were around 4 million fishermen in India, out of which approximately 61% of fishermen were in Below the Poverty Line (BPL).
- The Indian Blue Revolution has provided a major boost in the fishing and aquaculture industries.
- The inland fishery has seen a major surge, with a contribution of around 70% of the total fish production in India. Therefore, inland fishery plays a pivotal role as compared to marine fishery.