Topic: GS2 – International relations
- Palestinians in northern Gaza were ordered to evacuate towards the southern part of the territory by Israel’s military, in preparation for an expected ground invasion against Hamas.
Additional information on the news:
- The United Nations expressed concern over this mass exodus, as it involved almost half of Gaza’s population and could lead to a calamity.
- Hamas, the ruling militant group in Gaza, dismissed the evacuation order as a ploy and encouraged people to remain in their homes.
- The evacuation order, including Gaza City, caused widespread panic among civilians and aid workers already dealing with Israeli airstrikes and a total siege of Gaza.
- Israel’s actions included cutting off food, water, and supplies, as well as causing a blackout across the territory.
- The situation has created extreme hardships for the people of Gaza, with concerns about basic survival overshadowing all other needs.
- The conflict has resulted in over 3,000 casualties on both sides and has heightened tensions in the region.