|Topic: GS2 – Governance- Govt policies and interventions
This topic is not much relevant in the context of Prelims but more for Mains in the context of restructuring of the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) which could have significant implications for the defense sector and national security..
- Concerns regarding project delays at the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) prompted the government-appointed Vijay Raghavan panel to submit its report.
- Significant project delays and extensions requested by DRDO were noted in earlier reports from the Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) and the Parliamentary Standing Committee on Defence.
- The Vijay Raghavan committee recommends that DRDO concentrate on its primary objective of research and development for defence, putting the private sector in charge of product management, production cycles, and productization.
- The committee suggests that talent both domestically and abroad be recruited for particular defence technologies, emphasising that DRDO should avoid pursuing pointless technological endeavours.
- The Prime Minister’s Defence Technology Council is seen as essential to determining the appropriate parties for different defence technologies and guaranteeing effective decision-making.
- The committee suggests establishing the Department of Defence Science, Technology, and Innovation as a distinct department under the Defence Ministry.
- Under the direction of a technocrat, this department seeks to advance defence research and development among the academic and startup communities.
- It will also house the Defence Tech Council secretariat, which brings together scientists from academia and the DRDO.
- The department will take over the testing and certification labs, which are now handled by the DRDO, to help the DTC make decisions about the manufacturing of technologies.
|Practice Question: Analyze the implications of the suggested creation of the Department of Defence Science, Technology, and Innovation. How can these reforms contribute to strengthening India’s defense capabilities and addressing challenges in defense research and development? (200 words/12.5 m)