Topic: GS2 – International relations.
- Indian missions in Canada are currently facing “security threats,” affecting their normal functioning.
- As a result of these security concerns, Indian diplomats in Canada are temporarily unable to process visa applications.
More about the news:
- India has called for “parity” in the posting of diplomats between the two countries, suggesting a reduction in the number of Canadian diplomats in India.
- The Indian government has not received any evidence from Canada regarding allegations of Indian involvement in the killing of Khalistan Tiger Force chief Hardeep Singh Nijjar.
- India has urged Canada to uphold the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations and ensure the safety of Indian diplomats posted in Canada.
Reasons for it he said India – Canada tussle:
- Allegations of Indian involvement in the killing of a Sikh separatist leader in Canada:In June 2023, Hardeep Singh Nijjar, the leader of the Khalistan Tiger Force, was shot and killed in Surrey, Canada. Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has said that there is credible evidence that Indian agents may have been involved in the killing. India has denied any involvement.
- India’s concerns about Sikh separatism in Canada: India has long been concerned about the activities of Sikh separatist groups in Canada. India has accused Canada of not doing enough to crack down on these groups.
- Canada’s criticism of India’s human rights record:Canada has been critical of India’s human rights record, particularly its treatment of minorities such as Muslims and Sikhs. India has accused Canada of interfering in its internal affairs.