Topic: GS2 – Indian polity.
- The Lok Sabha has passed a historic Women’s Reservation Bill, providing one-third reservation for women in the Lok Sabha and State Assemblies.
- The bill will now proceed to the Rajya Sabha for approval during the Special Session of Parliament.
More information about the news:
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi expressed gratitude to MPs from various parties for their support.
- The bill received overwhelming support in the Lok Sabha, with 454 members voting in favor and only two members opposing it.
- A heated eight-hour debate occurred, with discussions on credit for the bill and the issue of a separate quota for women from Other Backward Classes (OBCs).
- Home Minister Amit Shah assured rectifying any shortcomings in the future, urging support for the bill.
- Some members questioned the delay in implementing the bill due to its linkage with a frozen delimitation exercise until 2026.
Note: for more details on this news – please refer PIB, 21 September 2023.