|Topic: GS3 – Indigenization of technology
This topic relevant for both Prelims and Mains in the context of India’s Maritime Security
Project 15B Overview:
- Project 15B involved the construction of a series of guided missile destroyers, including INS Visakhapatnam (commissioned in November 2021), INS Mormugao (commissioned in December 2022), and the upcoming INS Surat.
- These ships were built by Mazagon Dock Shipbuilders Limited (MDL) and designed by the Warship Design Bureau of the Indian Navy.
Building INS Imphal:
- Keel-laying, launching, commissioning, and decommissioning were the four major ceremonial events associated with the building of INS Imphal.
- With the keel being cast in May 2017, the ship being launched in April 2019, and the trials being finished in six months, INS Imphal’s construction and testing took less time than any other indigenous destroyer.
Capabilities of the Visakhapatnam Class:
- With a displacement of 7,400 tonnes, the destroyers of the Visakhapatnam class measure 163 metres in length and 17.4 metres in width.
- With their current propulsion system, they can go 4,000 nautical miles at a maximum speed of 30 knots.
- These ships have anti-submarine warfare capabilities, a 127mm main cannon, Barak-8 surface-to-air missiles, and BrahMos cruise missiles among other cutting-edge weapons.
Advanced Features and Systems:
- A total atmospheric control system (TACS) protects the destroyers from nuclear, biological, and chemical threats.
- Allocating resources, making tactical decisions, and assessing threats are all made possible by a cutting-edge combat management system.
- The ability of the boats to pilot two multirole helicopters increases their adaptability to a range of naval activities.
Tribute to North-East:
- The Ministry of Defence highlights that the launch of INS Imphal is a tribute to the Northeast, citing the historical significance of Manipur in particular.
- INS Imphal is acknowledged as the biggest and most sophisticated destroyer named after a city in the Northeast, signifying the region’s involvement in historical occurrences like as the Anglo-Manipur War and the Battle of Imphal during World War II as well as its contributions to India’s liberation movement.
PYQ: Which one of the following is the best description of ‘INS Astradharini’, that was in the news recently? (2016)
|Practice Question: Discuss the strategic significance of the commissioning of INS Imphal, the latest addition to the INS Visakhapatnam class destroyers, in the context of India’s naval capabilities. (250 words/15 m)