Topic: GS2 – International relations
- India’s External Affairs Minister, S. Jaishankar, has addressed the ongoing tensions between India and Canada regarding the killing of Khalistani separatist leader Hardeep Singh Nijjar in British Columbia in June.
- Jaishankar emphasized that the Indian government has informed its Canadian counterpart that it is not the official policy of the Indian government to engage in such acts.
Canada’s Permissive Environment
- Jaishankar highlighted that Canada maintains a “very permissive” environment concerning secessionist activities.
India’s Response to Allegations
- India denied its involvement in Nijjar’s death and conveyed to Canada that such actions do not align with India’s official policy.
- The Indian government expressed its willingness to consider any specific information provided by Canada regarding the case.
Context of Organized Crime
- Jaishankar provided context by mentioning that Canada has witnessed significant instances of organized crime linked to secessionist forces, particularly supporters of Khalistani movements related to India.
- India has shared extensive information about organized crime leadership operating from Canada with Canadian authorities.
- India has made several extradition requests to Canada in connection with individuals involved in organized crime and secessionist activities.
Permissive Environment Due to Political Reasons
- Jaishankar expressed concern that Canada’s permissive stance on these issues might be influenced by political reasons.
- He cited threats to Indian diplomats, attacks on Indian consulates, and interference in Indian politics, often justified under the pretext of democratic concerns.
- The tensions between India and Canada revolve around the alleged involvement of India in the killing of a Khalistani separatist leader in Canada.
- India has denied any involvement and expressed concerns about Canada’s permissive environment regarding secessionist activities and organized crime linked to them.
- The situation underscores the complex dynamics between the two nations concerning issues related to secessionism and organized crime.