Topic: GS3 – climate action
- The draft text negotiated at the UN’s annual climate summit, COP-28, includes a clause calling for the world to phase out all fossil fuels.
More information on this news:
- The Global Stocktake (GST) draft commits signatories to an “orderly and just phase out of fossil fuels.”
- The summit’s location in the United Arab Emirates, a petro state, and COP leadership ties to oil have influenced the language in the GST.
- Previous climate talks mainly focused on reducing dependence on coal, but the latest draft emphasizes the need to eliminate all fossil fuels.
- Scientific evidence highlighting the necessity of significant emission cuts to keep global temperature rise below 1.5 degrees Celsius contributes to the inclusion of fossil fuel phase-out in the draft.